Sunday, January 20, 2008

Effects of Diet and No Thyroid Hormone

The diet:

Off the diet: I used to sit down, fill up the plate with spaghetti and meatballs, cover it with cheese, and pig out.
On the diet: Take a 1/2 cup of noodles and put it on your plate. It's half a kid's meal at Shoney's.

On the diet: Grab a cupcake off the counter and swallow it whole.
On the diet: Spit it out and rinse out your mouth because you just remembered you are on the diet. ( I do that daily with a bunch of food.)

Off the diet: Go out to lunch or dinner and order.
On the diet: Read the product label and if it has any iodine--like a bowl of Cheerios, you can't eat it.

Off the diet: Cookies and milk at bed.
On the diet: A cucumber for bed.

Off the diet: "My belly is full."
On the diet: "I am getting dizzy. I just had my slice of bread for breakfast"

Off the diet: Variety.
On the diet: Carrot sticks, celery, apples, peaches, pears. It sounds good, but your body wants some protein. Weakness sets in. Couple that with low thyroxine and you have an 85-year old man in my body.

No thyroid hormone:

My thyroid is gone--gone since 12-14.
My Synthroid is gone--gone since 1-3. And, between 12-17 and 1-3, it was 60% of the dose I needed.

I am still much better than I thought I would be. I can still think. I can still type. I can still work. But, ask me to bench press 200, 150, or even 100 lbs or run 1/4 of a mile, and it won't happen. I get winded just cutting up my 6 ounce piece of chicken. Give me some oxygen, quick!