Thursday, January 17, 2008

What's up with MD Anderson?

I applied a few weeks ago at MD Anderson. They said I would hear back in 3-4 days. Two weeks went by. Three weeks....

They called left me a message to call back, which I did. Still no return phone call, after 4 days.

Here is what I think is going on:

1. I don't have details on how much my cancer has spread.
2. MD Anderson treats late stage cancer patients. Right now, I am stage 2, which means I am above age 40 and have a tumor above 4cm.
3. Until I am stage 3--meaning the cancer has been defined to spread to other parts of the body, I am probably not eligible.

In any event, as I learn more, it makes sense to get the first treatment at Emory. The first treatment at MD Anderson would be the same as it is at Emory--so why spend a week at MD Anderson, when Emory is around the corner in a half day visit?