Friday, December 14, 2007

Surgery Day

I could not sleep because I knew I was going to sleep through the alarm. At 4:00AM, I got out of bed and hopped in the shower to wake me up. I had packed the night before.

Kim and I drove direct to Emory. There is no traffic at 4:30 in the morning. We arrived just before 6:00AM and I entered the E1 surgery suite, which is "SAME DAY" surgery. The waiting room had at least 75 chairs for what should be a very large number of surgeries each day.

I put on my gown and talked to one of the medical assistants. They have lost my blood tests from December 3, so another technician is starting to draw blood again. The anesthesiologist questions her directly, asking why she would draw blood with no time for the results to be obtained, prior to surgery. She ceases her activity, other than a finger prick, for blood typing.

Trying to give me the sedative by injection proved to be a problem. Several attempts were made in each hand, and after about 20 minutes, the technician found a vein in my arm to use. He said I was dehydrated--not having anything to drink for almosts twelve hours.

I remember getting drowsy and being rolled into the OR. I looked up at two three 20" wide round lights above me, and was asked to move to another table. Before I was administered any anesthesia, I was out--fully asleep. I remember having light dreams during surgery.