Friday, January 25, 2008

Radioactive Iodine

I took 150mc of radioactive iodine at about 11:45 this morning. I felt nothing, but know that radiation will be flowing through my body for many days.

The precautions are:

1. Stay away from close contact with adults for 3 days.
2. Sleep in a separate bedroom for 8-11 days.
3. Use a separate bathroom for 7 days.
4. Wash my clothes separately.
5. Flush the toilet 2-3 times.
6. Drink a lot of fluid for 2-3 days to help the iodine circulate.
7. Suck on lemon drops to avoid side effects to the salivary glands, starting tomorrow.
8. Empty my bladder, every two hours. It accumulates the radioactive iodine. Do this 24 hrs per day.
9. Stay on my low iodine diet for 3 days--we want the radioactive iodine to be the iodine absorbed by the cells.
10. Use paper plates and disposable utensils, or wash my dishes separately for 3-4 days.
11. Don't cook for others for 3-4 days.